Tune in anytime: iTunes – Spotify – Castbox – YouTube
On this episode:
Chris Brycki is the founder of Stockspot, Australia’s largest robo investment adviser. Chris is a very intelligent, evidence-based investor. He’s a big advocate for investing via index funds and ETFs, and keeping costs low inside and outside of Super.
Chris is a member of the Cancer Council’s investment committee and ASIC’s board for digital innovation.
I could have chatted to Chris for hours because I really enjoyed his candour and insights about portfolio management. I think every investor, beginner to advanced, should consider his insights in developing robust portfolio management strategies of their own.
To begin, Chris and I discuss a tense investing conversation he had live on television.
- 0:45: Intro to Chris
- 1:30 – A tense conversation
- 2:40 – Chris’ journey to investing and a $1,000 challenge
- 6:00 – Tips for getting children excited in investing and finance (explain what shares represent, how you can own a business, sharemarket games, etc.)
- 8:45 – Joining UBS and getting an all expenses paid trip to London to have cavier on the London Eye
- 11:30 – Chris is made redundant during the GFC
- 13:30 – Why Chris felt the time was right to start StockSpot
- 15:30 – What is StockSpot and why is it called StockSpot?
- 18:30 – Is a Chris a tech guy?
- 21:00 – What the heck is “robo advice” and is StockSpot one of those?
- 24:30 – Why does StockSpot use ETFs and why did Chris stop ‘picking’ individual shares?
- 27:30 – Is “risk” just volatility or is it the chance of losing money?
- 33:00 – Why does Chris own gold and how does he get that exposure?
- 36:30 – What Chris looks for in ETFs: Physically backed ETFs, cost, liquidity and slippage/spreads. (ETF research paper)
- 43:30 – What is a ‘Smart Beta’ or ‘Factor ETF’?
- 49:00 – Fat Cats of the Super industry
- 54:00 – Why and how the biggest Super funds could be hiding more risk in ‘balanced strategies’
- 57:30 – 3 Ways Chris would fix the Super system
- 1:01:30 – Active fund managers with 0% management fees
- 1:04:30 – Chris’ good podcasts, books and resources
Quote: “incentives of people providing the money aren’t aligned with people managing the money”
- What is an ETF? (with video)
- What is an index fund? (with video)
- Smart Beta and Factor ETFs Explained (with video)
- Stockspot ETF Report
- Stockspot Fat Cat Funds Report
- PODCAST: Masters In Business
Learn more about Chris:
- Take Owen’s investing free valuation course!
- Click here for - Owen's free cloud stocks investment report
- Click here for - Owen's investment research (Rask Invest)
Contact Owen: If you have any feedback or advice to share with Owen, you can reach him by clicking here.
New to Rask? Create a free Rask Account
Rask Media: get the latest ASX news and stories
The information on this website and in our podcasts is general financial advice only. That means, the advice does not take into account your objectives, financial situation or needs. Because of that, you should consider if the advice is appropriate to you and your needs, before acting on the information. In addition, you should obtain and read the product disclosure statement (PDS) before making a decision to acquire a financial product. If you don’t know what your needs are, you should consult a trusted and licensed financial adviser who can provide you with personal financial product advice. Please read our Terms & Conditions and Financial Services Guide before using this website.