Tune in anytime: iTunes – Spotify – Castbox – YouTube
On this episode:
Ilan Israelstam is Head of Strategy and Marketing at Betashares, a fast-growing Australian funds management company that focuses on ETFs or Exchange Traded Funds. He is also a principal at venture capital firm Apex Capital Partners.
Ilan takes us through his story and why it was in his D.N.A to take risk, the world of Venture Capital, what he looks for in small financial companies, how ETFs are changing the investing world and much more.
First, Ilan tells us why he has 30 pairs of shoes…
- 1:30 – Ilan’s fascination with shoes, or sneakers
- 3:50 – Where did Ilan’s passion for finance come from? Charging neighbours to access his at-home mini golf course, inspiration from his parents, life as an immigrant
- 7:45 – Getting a job at BCG (Boston Consulting Group) and flying around the world
- 10:30 – Ilan leaves a great job then takes off to CHINA (!?) to start an advertising company with 50 Mandarin-speaking staff
- 15:30 – Ilan and his colleagues set-up VC firm Apex Capital Partners and BetaShares
- 16:30 – Does Apex invest only in fintech?
- 24:30 – How do you value a start-up?
- 28:30 – The birth of BetaShares, “traction was hard”
- 35:30 – WTF is an ETF?
- 38:00 – Is an ETF an index fund? And how the BEAR fund works.
- 43:00 – What are the key risks to ETFs? Are there any red flags that you should look for?
- 46:00 – How big is the ETF industry? About 1/3 of all trades in the US.
- 49:00 – How many ETFs is too many?
- 51:00 – What is a “smart beta” ETF
- 55:30 – Why Ilan owns ETFs for himself and his kids
- 57:00 – How to combine ETFs with other investments (core + satellite)
- 1:00:30 – How did BetaShares become a behemoth by focusing small and young investors?
- 1:03:30 – “Don’t sweat the small stuff” and “invest regularly”
- Apex Capital Partners
- ETF Quiz – Test your knowledge!
- VIDEO: What is a managed fund?
- VIDEO: What is an index fund?
- VIDEO: What is an ETF? (below)
Learn more about Ilan:
- Take Owen’s investing free valuation course!
- Click here for - Owen's free cloud stocks investment report
- Click here for - Owen's investment research (Rask Invest)
- Contact Owen: If you have any feedback or advice to share with Owen, you can reach him by clicking here.
- New to Rask? Create a free Rask Account
- Rask Media: get the latest ASX news and stories
The information on this website and in our podcasts is general financial advice only. That means, the advice does not take into account your objectives, financial situation or needs. Because of that, you should consider if the advice is appropriate to you and your needs, before acting on the information. In addition, you should obtain and read the product disclosure statement (PDS) before making a decision to acquire a financial product. If you don’t know what your needs are, you should consult a trusted and licensed financial adviser who can provide you with personal financial product advice. Please read our Terms & Conditions and Financial Services Guide before using this website.