Tune in anytime: iTunes – Spotify – Castbox – YouTube
On this episode:
Melissa Browne is a three-time author, a financial adviser at The Money Barre, serial entrepreneur and shoe-loving accountant. She’s also a regular on TV and writer for Fairfax. She’s also been featured in Vogue, Cosmo and named by the AFR and Westpac in the top 100 Women of Influence.
In this episode, we talk about Mel’s early days, the journey from law to accounting, building businesses, writing books, financial advice and more. Mel is a speed reader, having read thousands of books before writing her own, so I ask her for her must-read finance books.
I trust you’ll enjoy this conservation with Melissa Browne of The Money Barre.
- 1:30 – Language warning
- 3:00 – where did Melissa’s passion for finance come from?
- 7:30 – Owen is envious of accountants and Melissa gets exposure to small businesses
- 9:30 – Mel on accounting, small business failure and when to get an accountant
- 15:00 – Why Mel wanted to publish her first book “More Money For Shoes”
- 18:30 – Should everyone write a blog or do a VLOG?
- 21:30 – Melissa is child free but… owns a preschool?
- 25:00 – Ego projects in small business
- 30:30 – Mel’s latest book “Unf*ck your finances”
- 32:00 – “You’re not going to make it on your own”. Why Mel was living in a sharehouse in her mid-30’s and why she needed to be so candid in her book
- 39:30 – A 30-day “financial detox”
- 44:30 – How Mel tells young people to invest — including paying off debt, credit cards and Afterpay — and where they want to go
- 47:30 – Why Mel bought shares in Xero (disclosure: at the time of publishing, Owen owns them as well)
- 51:00 – Is it ok to have debt and invest?
- 53:00 – Mel read thousands of books before he started writing
- 53:30 – Mel’s best books
- 56:30 – What Mel would tell her younger self
- More Money For Shoes – Melissa Browne
- Fabulous But Broke – Melissa Browne
- Unf*ck Your Finances – Melissa Browne
- MONEY Master The Game – Tony Robbins
- Good To Great – Jim Collins
- Rich Dad, Poor Dad – Robert Kiyosaki
- eMyth Revisited – Michael Gerber
- Barefoot Investor book – Scott Pape
- Daring Greatly – Brené Brown
Learn more about Melissa Browne:
- Take Owen’s investing free valuation course!
- Click here for - Owen's free cloud stocks investment report
- Click here for - Owen's investment research (Rask Invest)
- Contact Owen: If you have any feedback or advice to share with Owen, you can reach him by clicking here.
- New to Rask? Create a free Rask Account
- Rask Media: get the latest ASX news and stories
The information on this website and in our podcasts is general financial advice only. That means, the advice does not take into account your objectives, financial situation or needs. Because of that, you should consider if the advice is appropriate to you and your needs, before acting on the information. In addition, you should obtain and read the product disclosure statement (PDS) before making a decision to acquire a financial product. If you don’t know what your needs are, you should consult a trusted and licensed financial adviser who can provide you with personal financial product advice. Please read our Terms & Conditions and Financial Services Guide before using this website.