Tune in anytime: iTunes – Spotify – Castbox – YouTube
On this episode:
Angie Ellis is a private investor from Melbourne. You may know her as 8020 Invest on social media or you may have read about her as part of Fairfax Media’s Shares Race, which she has won a few times.
Angie’s approach to investing is refreshing and logical and fuses together both fundamental and technical investing techniques to build two sub-portfolios. We go through her process in detail and talk about her former life as a business owner, installing MYOB accounting software and running a small-to-medium business.
I think this episode is an especially good one for part-time and DIY investors who are willing to do the extra work to get an informational or behavioural edge over others in the market. Angie’s tools, techniques and strategies seem simple enough but there are some subtleties, so it’s worth paying close attention.
Also, I recommend watching the video version of this interview on Rask Australia’s YouTube channel because it’ll add more context to the conversation.
I hope you enjoy this episode with Angie Ellis of 8020 Invest.
- 1:30 – Intro to Angie
- 3:00 – Angie’s young life and growing up working for the family business
- 8:00 – Angie starts her own business as an MYOB consultant and she channels her creative marketing
- 13:00 – At 24 Angie buys shares in the TAB because it’s always packed when she walks past
- 16:30 – Angie and the Shares Race (she’s won it three times!)
- 21:00 – The two sides of Angie’s portfolio – a rules based or systematic approach and a fundamental approach
- 26:00 – Using the world around you to find ideas like Afterpay, retail stocks and a2 Milk
- 33:00 – Angie’s quality control and risk management
- 46:00 – Does Angie use ETFs?
- 50:00 – What Angie would tell her younger self about money or investing
Learn more about Angie:
- Take Owen’s investing free valuation course!
- Click here for - Owen's free cloud stocks investment report
- Click here for - Owen's investment research (Rask Invest)
- Contact Owen: If you have any feedback or advice to share with Owen, you can reach him by clicking here.
- New to Rask? Create a free Rask Account
- Rask Media: get the latest ASX news and stories
The information on this website and in our podcasts is general financial advice only. That means, the advice does not take into account your objectives, financial situation or needs. Because of that, you should consider if the advice is appropriate to you and your needs, before acting on the information. In addition, you should obtain and read the product disclosure statement (PDS) before making a decision to acquire a financial product. If you don’t know what your needs are, you should consult a trusted and licensed financial adviser who can provide you with personal financial product advice. Please read our Terms & Conditions and Financial Services Guide before using this website.