Tune in anytime: iTunes – Spotify – Castbox – YouTube
On this episode:
Claude Walker is an Australian small company investor who attempts to unearth the best opportunities at the smaller end of the ASX. Claude and I first met when he became an investment analyst for The Motley Fool Australia and we have stayed in contact ever since.
As you’ll hear throughout this discussion, Claude seeks out companies which have a positive social and environmental impact and avoids those which have the opposite effect.
Claude is a very smart, passionate and transparent investor which is why I could have spent hours talking to him. Speaking of, I always do my best to be 100% transparent with you by acknowledging how I know guests on the show.
In the interests of complete disclosure, please pay careful attention to our opening discussion.
I hope you enjoy this conversation with Claude Walker of Ethical Equities.
- 1:30 – Important disclosure
- 3:00 – Claude’s childhood, including one parent as a barrister and a teacher
- 5:00 – Why Claude didn’t pursue a legal career
- 6:00 – How Claude dreamed what he wanted for his future and ‘treehouse investing’
- 11:00 – Claude Joins Castlereigh Equity with Peter Phan
- 13:00 – Joining The Motley Fool (TMF) Australia and working with Joe Magyer as the Director of Research.
- 17:15 – What is Ethical Equities? Claude’s passion project.
- 19:30 – Whose Ethics?
- 21:30 – Finding companies with a positive social/environmental impact
- 26:30 – Is ethical investing just quality investing?
- 28:30 – Can ETF investors invest ethically? Is there anything wrong with that?
- 33:00 – Why Claude invests in small caps
- 34:00 – How Claude thinks about risk. (hint: not volatility)
- 36:00 – Does part-time investing work and is it worthwhile?
- 46:00 – Claude’s favourite books
- 47:30 – What Claude’s advice to a younger him would be
- The Gorilla Game – Geoffrey Moore
- Collapse – Jared Diamond
- The last Liberal Art – Robert G. Hagstrom
Rask Podcast Guests:
- Castlereagh Equity
- TMF Australia
Learn more about Claude:
- Take Owen’s investing free valuation course!
- Click here for - Owen's free cloud stocks investment report
- Click here for - Owen's investment research (Rask Invest)
- Contact Owen: If you have any feedback or advice to share with Owen, you can reach him by clicking here.
- New to Rask? Create a free Rask Account
- Rask Media: get the latest ASX news and stories
The information on this website and in our podcasts is general financial advice only. That means, the advice does not take into account your objectives, financial situation or needs. Because of that, you should consider if the advice is appropriate to you and your needs, before acting on the information. In addition, you should obtain and read the product disclosure statement (PDS) before making a decision to acquire a financial product. If you don’t know what your needs are, you should consult a trusted and licensed financial adviser who can provide you with personal financial product advice. Please read our Terms & Conditions and Financial Services Guide before using this website.