Tune in anytime: iTunes – Spotify – Castbox – YouTube
On this episode:
This Australian Investors Podcast episode features Gabe Bernarde of Viceroy Research.
For years, Viceroy Research remained anonymous despite scores of financial journalists, hedge fund managers, analysts and company executives trying to discover their true identity.
Gabe is one of the group’s formerly anonymous investment analysts, working alongside Aidan and Fraser, to uncover shares of companies which are suitable for short selling.
In this enlightening discussion Gabe describes Viceroy’s investment and research processes in detail, how Viceroy was unmasked and the accounting tricks and traps that make for some of the best short selling targets.
We trust you’ll enjoy this conversation with Gabe Bernarde of Viceroy Research.
- 1:30 – Intro to Gabe & Viceroy
- 7:30 – Gabe’s early career and working with distressed companies (insolvency)
- 11:00 – How Viceroy Research came to be and spending one month on an idea
- 13:00 – How short selling works and why is it called Viceroy?
- 17:00 – How the Steinhoff International short seller report came to be
- 23:30 – Does Viceroy look at every second and how do they filter ideas? Start with “too good to be true”.
- 27:00 – Viceroy’s short report on Germany’s ProSieben ETR:PSM
- 31:00 – Does Viceroy take a quantitative approach to short ideas? Why ‘good earnings’ not turning into cash is a problem.
- 35:00 – Why Viceroy isn’t shorting Telsa Inc (TSLA)
- 39:00 – Does Viceroy work with other short sellers?
- 41:00 – Viceroy’s MiMedx short thesis (view report here)
- 46:00 – Is short selling ethical?
- 49:00 – Why does Gabe travel overseas to post research?
- 53:00 – How Gabe deals with the stress of short selling and why shady people have showed at his house
Learn more about Gabe & Viceroy:
- Take Owen’s investing free valuation course!
- Click here for - Owen's free cloud stocks investment report
- Click here for - Owen's investment research (Rask Invest)
- Contact Owen: If you have any feedback or advice to share with Owen, you can reach him by clicking here.
- New to Rask? Create a free Rask Account
- Rask Media: get the latest ASX news and stories
The information on this website and in our podcasts is general financial advice only. That means, the advice does not take into account your objectives, financial situation or needs. Because of that, you should consider if the advice is appropriate to you and your needs, before acting on the information. In addition, you should obtain and read the product disclosure statement (PDS) before making a decision to acquire a financial product. If you don’t know what your needs are, you should consult a trusted and licensed financial adviser who can provide you with personal financial product advice. Please read our Terms & Conditions and Financial Services Guide before using this website.