Tune in anytime: iTunes – Spotify – Castbox – YouTube
On this episode:
Scott Williams is the Portfolio Manager for Fiftyone Capital’s Progressive Global Fund.
Scott employs a long/short strategy, with a unique activism angle to boot. Combined with his history in stockbroking and as a trader, Scott’s experiences and investment process stand in neat contrast to my own.
Nonetheless, Scott’s journey throughout the finance industry and the story of how Fiftyone Capital came to be are fascinating. In this episode, we talk stockbroking, surfing, how a year-long back injury spawned a managed fund and activist investing.
I hope you enjoy my discussion with Scott Williams of Fiftyone Capital.
- 1:30 – What is Fiftyone Capital?
- 2:45 – Scott’s day trading days and building an online presence
- 3:30 – Where Scott’s desire for investing came from
- 7:45 – How hosting a conference went from Scott applying for getting and getting multiple offers
- 14:00 – What is a stockbroker and how do they make money?
- 21:30 – How a tragic back injury gave Scott the time to start Fiftyone Capital
- 33:00 – Scott’s investment process, including why and how Fiftyone uses short positions
- 48:00 – Why competitive advantages/moats matter & how Scott takes an ‘activist investing‘ approach
- 1:03:00 – Scott’s take on what happens post Quantitative Easing (QE) and how the world unwinds from debt
- 1:10:00 – What Scott would go back and tell himself about investing and money