Tune in anytime: iTunes – Spotify – Castbox – YouTube
On this episode:
Sebastian Evans is the Managing Director and Chief Investment Officer of NAOS asset management. Sebastian spends most of his time sifting through the smallest companies on the stock market and, when he finds the right opportunity, is willing to take a very big stake and hold the shares for many years.
Sebastian takes us through what he looks for in businesses and management teams, the benefits of running listed investment companies, tricks and traps for small company investing, his favourite podcasts, and we talk about passive investing in small caps. My favourite story is him asking friends and family for some help to buy NAOS, a decision which set him on a path to becoming one of Australia’s most respected small company investors.
Sebastian doesn’t like the spotlight much, so I was thrilled he decided to join me for this chat.Considering he is in his early 30’s, I was impressed with his level of insight, but also his transparency and humility.
I think you’ll enjoy this conversation with Sebastian Evans of NAOS.
- 7:00 – Sebastian first investor presentation
- 8:30 – Lessons from the GFC
- 13:00 – What the heck is a LIC?
- 15:30 – Why did Sebastian start a LIC?
- 17:40 – How does Sebastian invest? (“… we haven’t added one new stock in a year and a half”)
- 22:30 – What does Sebastian look for in management?
- 26:00 – Is NAOS an Activist Investor?
- 27:00 – Why it’s important to “average up”
- 30:00 – 5 tailwinds for ASX small caps
- 32:00 – Are ETFs a good way to invest in small cap shares?
- 35:00 – Do ETFs pose ‘systemic risks’ to the market?
- 36:30 – How does NAOS go about getting an ‘edge’ and beat the market?
- 40:00 – Which podcasts Sebastian listens to and why he started one of his own
Learn more about Sebastian:
- Take Owen’s investing free valuation course!
- Click here for - Owen's free cloud stocks investment report
- Click here for - Owen's investment research (Rask Invest)
- Contact Owen: If you have any feedback or advice to share with Owen, you can reach him by clicking here.
- New to Rask? Create a free Rask Account
- Rask Media: get the latest ASX news and stories
The information on this website and in our podcasts is general financial advice only. That means, the advice does not take into account your objectives, financial situation or needs. Because of that, you should consider if the advice is appropriate to you and your needs, before acting on the information. In addition, you should obtain and read the product disclosure statement (PDS) before making a decision to acquire a financial product. If you don’t know what your needs are, you should consult a trusted and licensed financial adviser who can provide you with personal financial product advice. Please read our Terms & Conditions and Financial Services Guide before using this website.