Episode 24: Vimal Gor
On this episode:
Vimal Gor is the Head of Bond, Income and Defensive Strategies at Pendal Group, formerly known as BT Investment Management. Vimal is the first bond-focused investor to be profiled for The Australian Investors Podcast and I think you’ll agree he is very intelligent and articulate, delivering complex ideas in a very concise and thoughtful manner.
At the time we recorded this episode, Vimal oversaw the management of around $19 billion with his principal focus being the protection of wealth. As always, we talk about Vimal’s early life and career, lessons learned, why he was drawn to bond markets, his role today, how his team identify opportunities and the outlook for multiple assets classes in Australia and globally.
I trust you’ll enjoy this conversation with Vimal Gor of Pendal Group.
- 1:00 – Bonds 101: setting the scene for bond investors
- 8:00 – Why Bonds appealed to Vimal
- 10:30 – Bond market lessons learned during the Dotcom Bust and Global Financial Crisis (GFC)
- 17:30 – Who is Pendal and what do you do?
- 24:00 – Vimal’s process for identifying bonds to buy, term deposits (TDs), hybrids, corporate bonds and government bonds.
- 32:00 – Passive investing in bonds — is it risky?
- 40:00 – Can interest rates really go lower?
- 48:00 – Can bonds provide diversification going forward? Will a 60/40 portfolio work?
- 53:00 – The outlook for Australia and the economy
- 57:00 – What Vimal would tell a younger him about money, finance or investing