COVID-19 has shown us just how easily misinformation can travel across the globe and the damage listening to incorrect information can cause to our society.
While we’re stuck at home right now we rely on the news more than ever before to understand what is currently happening in the world around us, but it is more important than ever to apply a discerning lens to the media we consume. In this episode, Kate and Owen discuss some ways to become better consumers of financial news, some key red flags to look out for and the dangers of following unchecked stories blindly.
Notes & Resources:
- Kate’s blog – How To Money Australia – check it out
- Episode 27 – How to read the financial news
- How to Read Financial News: Tips from Portfolio Managers
- How to Become an Informed Consumer of Financial Media
- How To Read Financial News
- Factfulness – the book by Hans Rosling
- This is how COVID-19 has changed media habits in each generation
- Visual Capitalist: How COVID-19 Has Impacted Media Consumption, by Generation
- Covering a crisis: how newsrooms are meeting demand during COVID-19
Take Owen’s free finance course:
Podcast listener discount for Rask memberships!
- Use the coupon code “AFP” and get $100 off the upfront membership fee (just $299 for the first six months then $199 thereafter, cancel anytime!). Click here to learn more about Rask Invest. Don’t forget to apply your coupon code!
- Use the coupon code “AFP” and get $50 off the upfront membership fee for Rask ETFs! That takes the membership fee down from $199 to just $149 then $99 every six months. Click here to learn more about Rask Invest. Don’t forget to apply your coupon code!