*This episode was recorded remotely due to COVID-19 restrictions, we apologise for any inconsistencies in audio quality.
On this episode:
Stephen Moriarty is a private investor, podcast host, author, wealth coach and former political adviser. He also has an incredible wealth of knowledge of economic theory and policy, which is why he was the ideal guest for covering an emerging but important topic called Modern Monetary Theory or MMT.
The podcast is divided into two broad topics.
1: Private investing with a top-down approach
In this episode of The Australian Investors Podcast, Owen Raszkiewicz talks to Stephen about:
- Why he started with gambling but ended up in stocks
- Why Stephen believes timing the market can work (and how to do it)
- The benefits of investing using eight timeless principles, including:
- Knowing market cycles
- Getting the right asset allocation
- Expected returns from markets and how to position yourself and remain patient
2: Modern Monetary Theory (MMT) Explained (@33:00 minutes)
In the second half of the conversation, Stephen and Owen talk about:
- Modern Monetary Theory (MMT) and the case for a modern approach to economics and monetary and fiscal policy
- What is MMT? Stephen provides the most succinct yet basic definition we’ve heard.
- How does, or will, MMT work for everyone? Is MMT about ethics or economics or both?
- How is tax policy used to control inflation under MMT? Is it as bad as the ‘old’ economists would have you believe?
- Does the rise of MMT impact the way Stephen or other private investors should invest?
Please enjoy this episode of The Australian Investors Podcast with Stephen Moriarty, private investor.
Learn more about MMT:
- Bloomberg interview with Professor L. Randall Wray
- MMT founders Warren Mosler & Bill Mitchell discuss MMT (November 2019)
Get in touch with Stephen:
Don’t forget to leave us an iTunes review if you enjoy our interview. It helps me attract more great guests.
- Take Owen’s investing free valuation course!
- Click here for - Owen's free cloud stocks investment report
- Click here for - Owen's investment research (Rask Invest)
- Contact Owen: If you have any feedback or advice to share with Owen, you can reach him by clicking here.
- New to Rask? Create a free Rask Account
- Rask Media: get the latest ASX news and stories
The information on this website and in our podcasts is general financial advice only. That means, the advice does not take into account your objectives, financial situation or needs. Because of that, you should consider if the advice is appropriate to you and your needs, before acting on the information. In addition, you should obtain and read the product disclosure statement (PDS) before making a decision to acquire a financial product. If you don’t know what your needs are, you should consult a trusted and licensed financial adviser who can provide you with personal financial product advice. Please read our Terms & Conditions and Financial Services Guide before using this website.