Deep value quantitative investing with Tobias Carlisle
Tobias Carlisle, Founder of Acquirers Funds and creator of the Acquirer’s Multiple talked to Owen Rask on The Australian Investors Podcast about his journey and all things quantitative investing.
What you’ll get from listening:
- Why Tobias would want Warren Buffett on speed dial (over any other investor)
- Tobias backstory, including growing up in outback Australia
- How Tobias morphed a legal career into value investing
- How to find and short companies in financial distress (including frauds)
- Why Tobias believes stable + wide gross margins are a great predictor for the quality factor
- The Magic Formula versus Acquirer’s Multiple
- Why value factors outperform quality and growth
- The importance of dissecting cash versus profit
- Why frauds can remain profitable longer than you can stay solvent (as a short seller)
- The #1 piece of investing advice Tobias would give himself
This is a great primer and exploration on deep value, factor investing and using quantitative methods to get better outcomes from the long or short side of your portfolio.
Owen’s resources for this episode
- Get Owen’s full analyst training & view memberships
- Tobias on Twitter
- Get in touch with Tobias or read his books – click here to go to Acquirers Funds
Interview recorded: Thursday May 13th, 2021.
Say g’day to Owen: