Tune in anytime: iTunes – Spotify – Castbox – YouTube
On this episode:
Charlie Aitken, the founder of Aitken Investment Management is my guest in this episode.
Charlie was Australia’s most widely known stockbroker before he started his own investment management company.
Charlie started his career on the floors of the Sydney futures exchange, picking up trade slips from experienced brokers. Eventually, he moved into a role where he would provide colourful market updates which were read by investors around the world.
In this episode, Charlie tells us why his mum was the investor in the family, why he backed one of Australia’s top-performing companies over the past 20 years and how and why he buys the best companies from Australia, Asia and beyond.
Please enjoy this episode with Charlie Aitken.
- 0:45 – Intro to Charlie
- 1:40 – Charlie’s investing DNA & why his mum was the best investor
- 3:30 – Charlie doesn’t finish uni
- 4:45 – How to become a stock broker: Call your dad
- 5:30 – Writing newsletters for NatWest, Southern Cross & Bell Potter
- 6:40 – Charlie’s tips for writing notes (avoid politics)
- 8:50 – Backing Fortescue (pre resources boom)
- 12:00 – How Charlie’s investment philosophy has evolved
- 14:00 – Why launch a fund and how personal brand helps
- 15:45 – Small Business and The Valley of Death
- 17:20 – Why Charlie invests in the greatest businesses on Planet Earth
- 18:10 – Charlie’s best advice for kids
- 20:25 – The “Herald Effect”
- 22:45 – Finding structural growth
- 24:40 – Is Charlie a Value Investor?
- 24:15 – The “Dark Science” of shorting
- 29:45 – How big can Charlie’s fund get?
- 31:10 – Australia for income, global for growth
- 32:25 – Tailwinds: population growth and technology, Alibaba and Tencent
- 35:30 – What would Charlie tell a younger him?
- AFR Article: “Bell Potter’s Aitken Stops ‘Ringing the Bell'”
- Livewire Interview with Charlie
- Intrinsic Value
- Compound Interest video
Learn more about Charlie & AIM Funds:
Sponsored by Kaplan Professional
This podcast is sponsored by Kaplan Professional, the leading provider of online education for Australia’s finance industry. Whether you’re studying a Master of Applied Finance or Master of Financial Planning, Kaplan Professional can provide the flexibility and support to deepen your specialist knowledge while balancing professional commitments.
If you’re planning to sit the CFA exam, Kaplan Professional is also renowned for the most respected preparation materials in the industry. Visit kaplanprofessional.edu.au to learn more.