Emanuel Datt – Family
On this episode:
Emanuel Datt is the Managing Director of the Datt Family Office and Datt Capital, a relatively new investment management company based in Melbourne.
In this episode, we discuss Emanuel’s early life and growing up with two entrepreneurial parents, his mother was a general practitioner while his father owned and operated a motel and invested heavily in commercial property.
Emanuel talks at length about his earliest successes and failures in markets, the psychology of investing, culture, a major ASX-listed technology investment, lending large sums of money to property developers and running a multi-asset portfolio.
Please enjoy this episode with Emanuel Datt of Datt Capital.
- 0:45: intro to Emanuel
- 2:30: Emanuel’s early interests in money
- 8:00: Spending big on private schooling
- 11:00: Managing the family businesses
- 13:30: Emanuel starts investing — loses everything ($1,000)
- 16:00: Learning about investing and betting $30k on the uranium boom
- 20:00: Tips for spending less and saving lots
- 24:30: Emanuel’s father passes and he takes responsibility for the family’s financial affairs
- 29:00: Trying to develop a multi-million-dollar property
- 35:00: Just how much money did Emanuel’s family make?
- 38:00: Why did Emanuel become a PM?
- 49:00: A 25% position in one technology stock! (Afterpay)
- 53:00: Considering buying the Reject Shop at 30% cash flow
- 58:00: Risks to property debt deals
- 1:06:00: Is it really difficult to buy individual bonds in Australia?
- 1:10:00: Charity and Datt Capital’s commitment
- 1:12:00: Would Emanuel change anything if he could go back in time?
Learn more about Emanuel:
Sponsored by Kaplan Professional
This podcast is sponsored by Kaplan Professional, the leading provider of online education for Australia’s finance industry. Whether you’re studying a Master of Applied Finance or Master of Financial Planning, Kaplan Professional can provide the flexibility and support to deepen your specialist knowledge while balancing professional commitments.
If you’re planning to sit the CFA exam, Kaplan Professional is also renowned for the most respected preparation materials in the industry. Visit kaplanprofessional.edu.au to learn more.