About this episode:
In this episode of the Australian Finance Podcast, Owen and Kate discuss the FIRE movement. FIRE stands for Financial Independence, Retire Early (or as some people like to call it, FIOR – Financial Independence, Optional Retirement). It’s as much of a mindset as it is a way of life or an aspirational goal. FIRE is all about increasing your savings rate, consuming less, pursuing happiness and having the financial freedom and flexibility to choose if, how and when you work.
Here are some of the best FIRE resources from around the web:
- Mr. Money Mustache – the original FIRE guru
- Four Pillar Freedom – another great visual FIRE site
- Frugalwoods – if you’re interested in a more frugal FIRE perspective
- Millennial Boss – a younger perspective
- Our Next Life – an American couple who have recently achieved FI
And some more resources that are specifically Australian:
- Pat the Shuffler – an Australian FIRE blogger
- Aussie Firebug – an Australian FIRE blogger
- Dividends Down Under – Australian FIRE blog by an anonymous couple
- Miss Money Box – a strong focus on financial education
And of course some Podcasts (via iTunes):
- FIRE Drill Podcast
- Radical Personal Finance
- The Mad Fientist
- Afford Anything
- Listen Money Matters – a focus on American personal finance topics
And some of my favourite financial independence themed books at the moment:
- The Simple Path to Wealth – J L Collins
- Meet the Frugalwoods – Elizabeth Thames
- The Year of Less – Cait Flanders
- The $1000 Dollar Project – Canna Campbell
- Minimalism: Live a Meaningful Live – Joshua Fields Millburn & Ryan Nicodemus
- Side Hustle: Chris Guillebeau
- Get a Financial Grip – Pete Wargent
- Unf*ck Your Finances – Melissa Browne
Some further articles:
- What is the FIRE Movement?
- What does it mean to catch FIRE?
- Dispelling Common Myths About the FIRE Movement
- How to Start Planning Your FIRE Journey?
Take Owen’s free finance course:
Podcast listener discount for Rask memberships!
- Use the coupon code “AFP” and get $100 off the upfront membership fee (just $299 for the first six months then $199 thereafter, cancel anytime!). Click here to learn more about Rask Invest. Don’t forget to apply your coupon code!
- Use the coupon code “AFP” and get $50 off the upfront membership fee for Rask ETFs! That takes the membership fee down from $199 to just $149 then $99 every six months. Click here to learn more about Rask Invest. Don’t forget to apply your coupon code!