Rask Invest Performance Review
Please note Rask Invest’s performance methodology below, these returns should be considered hypothetical.
|Rask Invest research||Total Return (AUD)||Market return (AUD)||Excess return|
- Total return = share price return + dividends (in AUD) of Rask Invest’s share idea, measured from the date of recommendation in AUD. Sold positions are reported as closed at the last traded share price.
- Market return: the return of the relevant benchmark since the share idea was released.
- Excess return: Measures the total return performance of Rask Invest’s share idea against the benchmarket/market return.
- Rask Invest is an investment research service, not a managed fund. Please note, Rask Invest’s purpose is to provide our members with stock and ETF investment research and regular investment ideas. We do not manage money for our members, so our performance calculation is different to a managed fund, Superannuation fund or ETF.
- Our performance does not include the impact of fees, costs or taxes. Our performance does not include costs like brokerage (paid to a broker) or management fees. Note: Rask Invest does not charge a management fee, but some of the ETFs we recommend have their own fees.
- We report the mean average return, not a dollar-weighted or a time-weighted return. Rask Invest’s returns are based on the Australian dollar share price at the time we made the recommendation to our members. We compare that price to the recent stock prices (up to 90 minutes delayed and converted to AUD). The benchmarks are measured the same way, since dividends are assumed to have been reinvested in full. We acknowledge that mean average returns are not the best way to report performance but we believe they are easy for our members to understand.
- Benchmarks. We use two benchmarks. For our Australian/ASX investment recommendations we compare our share ideas to the S&P/ASX 200 Total Return (AUD) index (XNT). For our international share recommendations (mostly US-listed stocks) we use the Vanguard MSCI International Shares Fund ETF (VGS) (AUD) as our benchmark.
- Performance is not guaranteed. This performance page in no way represents or constitutes a guarantee of returns. Please remember that investing involves the risk of capital loss. The Rask Group Pty Ltd and its directors or staff do not guarantee an investment’s return.
Does this record include every share/ETF idea to members?
Our public track record includes every ‘official’ pick we’ve released for Rask Invest since our inception (note: we often release bonus research that’s not an ‘official’ idea).
When did you start Rask Invest?
We started Rask Invest in mid-2018 and our service was not running for a four-to-six-month period between October and March this year because of insurance issues outside of our control.
Are track records reliable?
Our belief is that performance track records are transient. In contrast, it is the firm/team’s investment philosophy and investment process that endures and is ultimately ‘what you get’, regardless of whether it’s a fund, subscription service (like ours) or even a venture capital bet.
Please don’t make a decision to join us solely on our track record. Our track record is nuanced (e.g. we report in AUD), it’s in the past (aren’t they all) and we use mean average returns — not time-weighted or dollar-weighted returns. We invest in ASX and international shares, and occasionally ETFs.
We believe every investor should be sceptical of investment track records or past performance metrics.
As the phrase suggests, past results are in the past — and the future is uncertain.
That said, over a long period of time (e.g. 5 years or longer) we believe an investment track record becomes more reliable and indicative of the skill of an investor — but only if the same investors are in charge of the strategy and/or the investment process remains consistent.
Over time, if our strategy of investing in wide-moat, high-quality companies works (as we believe it will), we expect our track record and returns will begin to reflect the promising underlying economics of the businesses we identify for our members and choose to invest in.
If you’re interested in joining Rask Invest you can click here to get started.
Your analyst team and myself at Rask Invest are extremely excited, humbled and honoured by the opportunity to be able to identify, research, model and release the highest conviction share ideas and investment research we can to you, our Rask Invest members.
Our focus is fixed on finding Australian and global companies with first-class management, strong competitive advantages, sticky customers, very strong balance sheets and extreme long-term growth potential.
Thanks for considering us as a trusted investment research provider,
Lead Investment Analyst, Rask Invest
Founder, Rask Australia