About this episode:
Getting financial advice is a big decision, so in this episode, Kate chats to Aussie financial adviser Paul Benson about some essential questions to keep in mind when making this decision.
We discuss what financial advisers can help you with, key questions to ask when finding a financial adviser and most importantly… how much it actually costs.
5 questions to ask your financial adviser
When you meet a financial adviser for the first time, think of it like a job interview. They’re assessing whether you’re the right fit for them and you should be doing the same as well.
Here are five questions to throw at them during your initial meeting to see if they’re a good fit for you.
- What are your qualifications, previous roles, experience with clients like me, testimonials, and specific areas of interest?
- What is your approach/philosophy towards finance and investing? What type of investment products (e.g. ETFs, managed funds, property, REITs) do you typically recommend to clients?
- What are your various fees and charges for the SOA, implementation, and ongoing support?
- Am I able to contact you with questions about my finances at any time or do I have to schedule a meeting?
- What education and ongoing support will you provide me, so I can feel more knowledgeable and confident about my financial future?
Grab your tea or coffee, and tune in now for a great conversation with Kate & Paul.
Rask Education Article: Finding a financial adviser in Australia (and the 5 questions you should ask)
- Paul’s website: Financial Autonomy
- Buy the Financial Autonomy Book
- Financial Autonomy Podcast
- Finding a financial adviser in Australia (and the 5 questions you should ask)
- Financial Counselling in Australia
- Ep 74. The Role of a Financial Counsellor | Rask Australia
- Financial advisers register – Moneysmart.gov.au
- Financial advice – Moneysmart.gov.au
- Find a financial planner – The Financial Planning Association of Australia
- Adviser Ratings: Find, Rate, and Review a Financial Adviser – Adviser Ratings
- Independent Financial Advisers and Planners in Australia
- Responsible Investment Association Australasia: Home
- Ethical Advisers’ Co-op – Invest your super in line with your values
Don't forget to create a Rask account for bonus material. Click here.
The official Sponsor of The Australia Finance Podcast
Rask Australia's Australian Finance Podcast series is proudly supported by ETF Securities. Click the banner below to learn more about the official supporter of our leading podcast series.
Get more episodes
Take Owen’s free finance course: