Tune in anytime: iTunes – Spotify – Castbox – YouTube
On this episode:
My guest for this episode is Pete Wargent of Petewarget.com.
Pete is one of Australia’s leading property economists and investors, a best selling author and blogger. Having reached financial independence at 33, Pete is now a regular on TV and splits his time between the UK and Noosa.
From the outside, Pete’s journey seems to include success after success. However, as you’ll discover in this conversation Pete’s journey included many ups and downs, hard work and sacrifice.
I know you’ll enjoy this episode of The Australian Investors Podcast with Pete Wargent.
- 0:00 – Why Pete has written a new book for parents and teens “Wealth Ways For The Young”
- 6:00 – Pete’s early life and growing up in South Yorkshire (9min)
- 16:00 – Assets are more important than income, Pete finds this out after looking at the ‘personal’ balance sheets of rich clients and the investments of her now wife
- 18:00 – How Pete met his wife at work
- 24:00 – Dealing with anxiety, panic attacks and pressure, and what was holding him back
- 31:00 – Is the best investment a great partner?
- 32:00 – Knowing what your personal assets and liabilities are and mean for your future
- 35:00 – How Pete learned how to invest in shares, index funds and property
- 40:00 – Pete’s cleanse before he began to invest and a goal of 10 properties in 10 years.
- 43:30 – Why is property the best investment for the average investor?
- 46:00 – Do you really want to own property? Start with ‘Why?’.
- 53:00 – Why a focus on quality works
- 57:00 – two ways to get in trouble – buy off the plan or buy a property in a bidding war during a strong market
- 1:03:00 – Start investing outside of property
- 1:04:00 – Independent by 33, does that mean mortgage free? Pete’s $3 million target.
- 1:06:00 – Don’t start your day off looking at emails, that can set you off on the wrong foot for the day
- 1:10:00 – Why Australian property can’t continue outperforming shares (as a whole)
- 1:15:00 – What’s Pete’s outlook for the next two years? Is it as bad as it seems? Note: Supply-responsive suburbs/markets are almost always hit the hardest.
- 1:20:00 – Pete’s answer to what he would tell a younger him: “start now and surround yourself with positive people”
Learn more about Pete:
- Take Owen’s investing free valuation course!
- Click here for - Owen's free cloud stocks investment report
- Click here for - Owen's investment research (Rask Invest)
- Contact Owen: If you have any feedback or advice to share with Owen, you can reach him by clicking here.
- New to Rask? Create a free Rask Account
- Rask Media: get the latest ASX news and stories
The information on this website and in our podcasts is general financial advice only. That means, the advice does not take into account your objectives, financial situation or needs. Because of that, you should consider if the advice is appropriate to you and your needs, before acting on the information. In addition, you should obtain and read the product disclosure statement (PDS) before making a decision to acquire a financial product. If you don’t know what your needs are, you should consult a trusted and licensed financial adviser who can provide you with personal financial product advice. Please read our Terms & Conditions and Financial Services Guide before using this website.