Episode 26: Chris Bates
On this episode:
Chris Bates is the founder of Wealthful, a financial planning and property advice business based in Sydney.
Chris specialises in helping families get control of their finances and invest in property the right way. Chris regularly shares his candid views on financial advice, property and personal finance via LinkedIn, a podcast and other social channels.
In this 50-minute conversation Chris and I talk about his unusual and surprisingly short introduction into financial advice, creating social capital, the property do’s and don’ts of investing, how to identify investment grade property and the future of finance.
I hope you enjoy this conversation with Chris Bates, founder of Wealthful.
- 0:30 – Chris is a Liverpool fan? Really!?
- 3:30 – How Chris came to be a financial adviser before the GFC
- 9:30 – Chris moves back to Melbourne before heading back to Sydney to start his own business
- 10:30 – Why Chris started his own business
- 14:30 – How Chris motivates 30-40-year-old couples to better manage their money
- 19:00 – Worst property buying mistakes Aussies make
- 25:00 – What makes an investment grade property?
- 35:00 – Disruption in the financial advice industry
- 37:30 – How Chris built a social following of 21,000+
- 46:00 – How to build an online business for the next 5 years
- 51:30 – What Chris would a younger him about money, finance or investing